Why have student members?
A number of the Faculty's committees have students as core members. This provides an avenue for students to participate in faculty planning and decision-making, particularly in relation to the development and review of courses, and for the Faculty to gain a student perspective in its decision-making processes.
Students interested in joining a faculty committee should have:
- a genuine interest in the business of the committee they nominate for/express interest in joining;
- appropriate time available to read papers and attend meetings;
- reliability - it is expected members will attend all meetings unless there are good reasons for absence;
- ability and willingness to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information; and
- ability to conduct themselves maturely and constructively at meetings that is in the interests of the student member, their fellow students and staff.
Committees with Student Membership
The following FEIT committees have student representation:
- Faculty Board
- Faculty Courses Committee
- Research Degrees Committee (HDR students only)
The terms of reference (core business and reasons for having these committees) and composition (membership) for these committees are available at:
- Faculty Board
- Research Degrees Committee
How to Get Involved
Student memberships are usually for a period of one year, and students are appointed based on election, expression of interest or nomination, depending on the Committee. Details for each are below:
- Faculty Board: by election by the UTS Secretariat. An email is sent to all students to nominate and stand in the selection, usually around May of each year.
- Faculty Courses Committee: by expression of interest called from students by the Faculty General Manager, usually in November of each year. Endorsement of membership is made by the Faculty Board.
- Research Degrees Committee: by expression of interest called from HDR students by the Faculty General Manager, usually in November of each year. Endorsement of membership is made by the Faculty Board.
The Faculty General Manager will post instructions and deadlines to submit expressions of interest for Faculty committees here in November of each year.
Back to top